Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Patriotic Sign with acrylic transfer

I love the acrylic transfer technique that I used on these signs.  I needed to make a red, white, and blue item for a swap that I do, so I decided to try my hand at acrylic transfer with color.  I first tried with the same paint I used for the other signs.  The color came off a little more than I would have liked.

I went in search of a higher quality medium.  I found this matt medium at Walmart and tried it.  The color held perfectly! None of it wore off at all.  Unfortunately, it took off a little of the paint in the bottom corner.  


So, what did I learn with color acrylic transfer? It really depends on the look you are going for.  I love that I found a medium that doesn't wipe all the color off, but I am actually partial to the weathered look.  If I were doing a photograph or something else like that, I would go with the matt medium again, but for this sign, I chose the more weathered one.  I added a vinyl heart and some burlap ribbon to finish it up.


Do you want to know the best part? This cost less than $1.00 to make.  I cut a $1.88 piece of MDF into 6 pieces.  The ribbon cost me $0.25. The vinyl was less than $0.25.  The paint was $0.50 for the whole bottle and I used very little per sign.  Then, all I needed was a color laser print.  Not too bad for a nice summer decoration.






2 comments:

  1. Great DIY! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There might some different approaches according to place or knowledge. Your skills depends on how you got an opportunity and where you have trained. Personal or professional training might distinguish between each other. ร้าน สติ๊กเกอร์ ระยอง

    ReplyDelete